Connecting UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt to the computer
- On Mac systems, Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 ports and devices may be mixed and/or matched for any/all Thunderbolt connections.
- On Windows 10 systems:
- The host computer must have Thunderbolt 3 built-in via USB-C.
- A qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter is required. For details, see this article.
- UAD devices with Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 connections may be mixed and/or matched.
- UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt cannot be bus powered via Thunderbolt. The included external power supply must be used.
- Universal Audio Thunderbolt devices are tested with authentic Apple Thunderbolt Cables and Thunderbolt Optical Cables by Corning. Using off-brand cables may cause unpredictable results.
Connecting additional Thunderbolt peripherals
- Thunderbolt peripheral devices may be serially connected (daisy-chained) to UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt's second Thunderbolt port.
Note: UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt must be powered on for the computer to recognize the daisy-chained device.
- Per the Thunderbolt specification, bus power is supplied to downstream (daisy-chained) peripheral devices.
Note: UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt must be powered on for the daisy-chained peripheral to receive Thunderbolt bus power.
- Universal Audio Thunderbolt devices are officially certified as Thunderbolt compliant and are therefore compatible with other certified Thunderbolt devices when used in the same chain.
- The Startech Thunderbolt Docking Station is tested in-house and is known to be compatible with the UA Thunderbolt devices. This device has an HDMI display output which can be used for an external display to free the second Thunderbolt Option Card port for other devices.
- All Thunderbolt devices must be connected to the same Thunderbolt port on the computer.
- The Thunderbolt protocol supports a maximum of six Thunderbolt peripherals per Thunderbolt bus.
Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort
- For general information about Thunderbolt ports and displays, see Apple's Thunderbolt ports and displays FAQ.
- UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt cannot be used by connecting it to a Mini DisplayPort connector. Although Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort devices have the same physical connector, the underlying communication protocol used by these devices is different.
- The type of device port can be determined by the icon next to the port. Thunderbolt ports have a "lightning bolt" icon, while Mini DisplayPort ports have a "display" icon. The difference between these ports and icons is shown in the illustration below.