The Windows operating system settings in this section are necessary to ensure optimum stability and performance with UAD-2 hardware. Follow the procedures below before using your UAD-2 device.
- Prevent Windows from powering off USB devices (UAD-2 Satellite USB only)
Additional steps are required to configure Windows for use with UAD Thunderbolt devices. For details, see this article.
Note: These directions only apply if using a UAD-2 Satellite USB or Apollo Twin USB
Default Windows settings can interrupt USB data streams. Follow the procedure below to prevent Windows from powering off USB devices.
1. Open the Windows Device Manager. The Device Manager can be accessed by right-clicking the Windows Start Menu and selecting the item from the contextual menu.
2. Double-click the Universal Serial Bus controllers branch in the Device Manager window. The individual USB controllers in the branch are displayed in a list.
The USB controllers branch in Device Manager
3. Double-click the USB Root Hub device in the branch list. The Properties window for the individual device opens.
USB Root Hub controller device in branch list
4. Click the Power Management tab within the device's Properties window. The power management options are displayed.
5. Uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
6. Click the OK button to activate the new setting.
Correct setting shown – "Allow" option is disabled in device properties window
7. Important: Repeat steps 3 – 6 for all individual devices that include "USB Root Hub" in its name.
Important: Repeat procedure for all USB Root Hubs
System sleep is incompatible with UAD-2 FireWire devices. To disable computer system sleep:
1. Go to: Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options. The Power Options window opens.
2. In the Power Options window:
a. Select the High performance option.
b. Click the Change plan settings link for the High performance option. The Edit Plan Settings window opens.
3. In the Edit Plan Settings window:
a. Select Never from the Turn off the display drop menu(s).
b. Select Never from the Put the computer to sleep drop menu(s).
4. Click the Save changes button to activate the settings.
Correct setting shown – Sleep disabled in Edit Plan Settings
Note: Fast Startup was first introduced in Windows 10 so these directions do not apply to older versions of Windows.
Fast Startup in Windows 10 must be disabled for compatibility with UAD-2 FireWire devices. For instructions, see this article.
Optional Settings – Windows Optimizations
Additional tuning tips to maximize system optimization are available. For details, see the Windows Optimization - Optional Settings article.