Connecting UAD-2 Satellite USB to the computer
- Connect UAD-2 Satellite USB to an available built-in USB 3 port using the included USB 3 SuperSpeed cable.
- The USB 3 port used for the UAD-2 Satellite USB connection should be natively built into the motherboard.
- USB 3 adapters (such as PCIe-to-USB 3 expansion cards) have not been extensively tested with UAD-2 Satellite USB.
- UAD-2 Satellite USB requires a USB 3.0 SuperSpeed cable. USB 2 cables cannot be used.
- Ensure the USB 3 cable is fully inserted at both ends. This is particularly important with UAD-2 Satellite USB's Type-B connector, where a partial insertion could cause the computer to recognize the unit as a USB 2 "Hi-Speed" device.
- Connect UAD-2 Satellite USB to the computer with a USB 3 SuperSpeed cable that is no longer than two meters in length (approximately six feet or less). Using longer cables can have adverse effects on system performance.
Identifying USB 3 SuperSpeed ports
USB 3 SuperSpeed ports can be identified by the following indicators:
- Blue plastic inside the port
- "SuperSpeed" or "SS" labels next to the port
Important: UAD-2 Satellite USB cannot be used with USB 2 ("Hi-Speed") or USB 1 ("Full Speed") ports.
Click here for additional help identifying USB 3 ports.
Additional USB 3 port details
- For optimum performance with UAD-2 Satellite USB, Windows must be prevented from powering off the USB ports. See the Windows Setup - Required Settings article for details.
- UAD-2 Satellite USB can be connected to USB 3.1 ports, however it will operate at USB 3.0 speeds when connected this way.
- Although these cards are not fully qualified, the PCIe to USB 3 adapter cards listed below have performed well with UAD-2 Satellite USB in limited tests.
- In some cases, these adapter cards have enabled UAD-2 Satellite USB to work on systems with otherwise problematic USB 3 chipsets.
- The adapter cards can only be used successfully on motherboards with built-in USB 3. The adapters are not compatible with UAD-2 Satellite USB when used with USB 2 motherboards.
Inateck KT4005 4-Port USB 3.0 PCIe Expansion Card
- Manufacturer’s product information page (includes links to Amazon purchase pages in various countries)