About UAD Thunderbolt Compatibility with Windows 10 Systems
- UAD v9.1 introduces Windows 10 PC mixed multi-unit compatibility with all Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo and UAD-2 products (Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo 16 MkII, Apollo Twin Thunderbolt, Apollo Twin MkII, UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt, and first-generation silver Apollo/Apollo 16 models equipped with a Thunderbolt Option Card).
- Apollo Thunderbolt models can be combined with UAD-2 PCIe cards and UAD-2 Satellite (Thunderbolt, FireWire, and USB models). For details, see this article.
- Both the original Thunderbolt 1 Option Card and the newer Thunderbolt 2 Option Card for Apollo are compatible.
- Apollo Thunderbolt cannot be combined with Apollo FireWire or Apollo Twin USB (multiple Apollo connection types are incompatible).
- A Windows 10 PC computer featuring built-in Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C is required.
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update 64-bit edition (version 1607 or higher) is required. Earlier versions of Windows are not tested or supported.
- A qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter (not included) is required to connect Universal Audio Thunderbolt products to the USB-C port on the computer.
- Apollo Thunderbolt audio drivers for Windows are 64 bit only. 32 bit DAW applications are not compatible.
- PCIe to Thunderbolt adapters, Thunderbolt to FireWire adapters, and Thunderbolt hubs are not tested or supported and may cause unexpected behavior.
- Connections to Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 computer ports are not tested or supported.
- Using Apple's Boot Camp to run Windows on Mac computers with Apollo or UAD-2 devices is not tested or supported.
- For general UAD system requirements, see this article.
- A Quad Core i7 or better processor is recommended for optimum performance.
- 2016 and later systems that have a 6th-generation Intel Skylake processor (or greater), and a built-in Thunderbolt 3 (Alpine Ridge) controller with a USB-C port, combined with a qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, are expected to be compatible.
- Thunderbolt 3 products listed on Intel’s Thunderbolt Technology Community page are expected to be compatible.*
*All system requirements still apply. Intel lists some motherboards at this link that do not have Thunderbolt 3 built-in via USB-C, but rather come with a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe add-on card included from the manufacturer. Thunderbolt 3 PCIe add-on cards are not fully tested or qualified for use with UAD Thunderbolt devices.
The following Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapters have been tested for compatibility with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt.
Note: The adapter connects between the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port on the computer and the Thunderbolt-equipped Universal Audio product.
- Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: TBT3TBTADAP)
- Kanex Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: K170-1051-BK6I)
Qualified Adapter Notes
- The qualified Thunderbolt 3 adapters are compatible with connections to external Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 devices.
Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter Notes
- The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter (Product ID: MMEL2AM/A) has been found to be incompatible with certain Windows systems in our internal testing. As a result, we do not recommend this adapter for Windows Thunderbolt systems.
- The Apple adapter is incompatible with hot-plugging the adapter into the computer’s USB-C port. However, the adapter is compatible with hot-plugging the Thunderbolt cable into the adapter.
Tested Windows Thunderbolt 3 Computers
The following Windows 10 PC computers that feature Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C have been tested for compatibility with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt.
Note that compatibility is not limited to these systems. Any Windows PC that meets the full Thunderbolt system requirements is expected to be compatible. See the UAD Thunderbolt Compatibility Requirements and General System Notes sections above for details.
Note: The systems below are compatible with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo and UAD-2 products as of November 3, 2016 (future compatibility cannot be guaranteed).
- Dell XPS 12
- Dell XPS 15 9550
- Dell Alienware R17
- HP ZBook G3
- Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition
- Intel NUC Kit series (Tested with NUC6i7KYK)
- Gigabyte BRIX series (Tested with GB-BSi7T-6500)
- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH Motherboard
- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 Motherboard
- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard
For help configuring your Windows PC for use with UAD Thunderbolt devices, please see the articles below: