About UAD Thunderbolt Compatibility with Windows 10 and 11 Systems
- The latest UAD software provides mixed multi-unit compatibility with all Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo and UAD-2 products (Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo 16 MkII, Apollo Twin Thunderbolt, Apollo Twin MkII, UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt, and first-generation silver Apollo/Apollo 16 models equipped with a Thunderbolt Option Card).
- Apollo Thunderbolt models can be combined with UAD-2 PCIe cards and UAD-2 Satellite (Thunderbolt, FireWire, and USB models). For details, see this article.
- All Thunderbolt Option Card models for Apollo are compatible.
- Apollo Thunderbolt cannot be combined with Apollo FireWire or Apollo Twin USB (multiple Apollo connection types are incompatible).
Compatible UAD Thunderbolt Products
Windows 10 or 11 PC with Thunderbolt 4
Windows 10 or 11 PC with Thunderbolt 3
Windows 10 or 11 PC with Thunderbolt 1 or 2
UAD Thunderbolt PC Compatibility Requirements
- A Windows 10 or 11 PC featuring available Thunderbolt 3 is required.
- Windows 10 64-bit edition or Windows 11 is required. Earlier versions of Windows are not tested or supported.
- PC systems with Thunderbolt 4 are not compatible with Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 devices.
- A qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter (not included) is required to connect Universal Audio Thunderbolt products to the Thunderbolt 3 port on the computer.
- Apollo Thunderbolt audio drivers for Windows are 64 bit only. 32 bit DAW applications are not compatible.
- Thunderbolt to FireWire adapters, and Thunderbolt hubs are not tested or supported and may cause unexpected behavior.
- Connections to Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 computer ports are not tested or supported.
- Using Apple's Boot Camp to run Windows on Mac computers with Apollo or UAD-2 devices is not tested or supported.
- For general UAD system requirements, see this article.
General System Notes
- A Quad Core i7 or better processor is recommended for optimum performance.
- 2016 and later systems that have a 6th-generation Intel Skylake processor (or greater) and Thunderbolt 3 (Alpine Ridge) controller with a Thunderbolt 3 port are expected to be compatible.
- Thunderbolt 3 products listed on Intel’s Thunderbolt Technology Community page are expected to be compatible.
- Systems that use Thunderbolt 3 add-on cards may require additional configuration. For details, check the manufacturer's documentation that came with the system or add-on card.
Qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapters
The following Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapters have been tested for compatibility with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt.
Note: The adapter connects between the Thunderbolt 3 port on the computer and the Thunderbolt-equipped Universal Audio product.
- Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: TBT3TBTADAP)
- Kanex Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: K170-1051-BK6I)
Qualified Adapter Notes
- The qualified Thunderbolt 3 adapters are compatible with connections to external Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 devices.
Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter Notes
- The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter (Product ID: MMEL2AM/A) has been found to be incompatible with certain Windows systems in our internal testing. As a result, we do not recommend this adapter for Windows Thunderbolt systems.
- The Apple adapter is incompatible with hot-plugging the adapter into the computer’s Thunderbolt 3 port. However, the adapter is compatible with hot-plugging the Thunderbolt cable into the adapter.
For help configuring your Windows PC for use with UAD Thunderbolt devices, please see the articles below:
Configuring Windows for Thunderbolt
Windows Setup - Required Settings
Windows Optimization - Optional Settings