The Windows operating system settings in this section generally improve overall system performance when DAW software is used with Apollo Solo USB. The settings are unrelated to Apollo Solo USB performance when used without DAW software (for example, as a live input effects processor with Console).
Note: The overall performance of a Windows computer system varies due to its system components (such as the processor, memory, chipset, motherboard, etc). Therefore the recommendations in this section are more likely to impact the performance of slower systems more than faster systems.
- Disable Computer Sleep
- Optimize Windows Power Options
- Disable Wi-Fi
- Disable Screen Saver
- General Windows Optimizations
System sleep is compatible with Apollo Solo USB. However, disabling sleep when using DAW software is generally recommended. To disable computer system sleep:
1. Go to: Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options. The Power Options window opens.
2. In the Power Options window:
a. Select the High performance option.
b. Click the Change plan settings link for the High performance option. The Edit Plan Settings window opens.
3. In the Edit Plan Settings window:
a. Select Never from the Turn off the display drop menu(s).
b. Select Never from the Put the computer to sleep drop menu(s).
4. Click the Save changes button to activate the settings.
Correct setting shown – Sleep disabled in Edit Plan Settings
Follow the steps below to prevent Windows from spinning down the hard disk, suspending USB devices, and throttling processor performance.
Go to: Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options. The Power Options window opens.
In the Power Options window:
1. Select the High performance option.
2. Click the Change plan settings link for the High performance option. The Edit Plan Settings window opens.
3. Click the Change advanced power settings link. The Advanced settings tab appears in a new Power Options window.
4. In the Advanced settings tab in the Power Options window:
Click "+" next to Hard disk
a. Click "+" next to Turn off hard disk after
b. Set Turn off hard disk option(s) to Never
Click "+" next to USB settings
a. Click "+" next to USB selective suspend
b. Set the USB selective suspend setting(s) to Disabled
Click "+" next to Processor power management
a. Click "+" next to Minimum processor state*
b. Set the Minimum processor state(s) to 100%
5. Click the Apply button to activate the settings.
*Note: Some systems may not display "Minimum processor state" option. In this case, disable the Intel SpeedStep option in the system BIOS instead (if available) using instructions provided by the computer manufacturer.
Power Options – Turn off hard disk: Never
Power Options - USB selective suspend setting: Disabled
Power Options – Minimum processor state: 100%
Wi-Fi network adapter activity can interrupt audio data streams. For optimum performance when using a DAW, disable the Wi-Fi network adapter.
Note: Disabling Wi-Fi temporarily disconnects the system from the Internet. Make sure Apollo Solo USB is properly installed and authorized before disabling Wi-Fi.
- Go to: Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center
- In the left column of the Network and Sharing Center window, click Change adapter settings
- Right-click on the Wireless Network Connection icon to display the contextual menu.
- Choose Disable from the contextual menu. The WiFi network adapter is disabled.
- To re-enable the WiFi network adapter, repeat steps 1 – 4 but choose Enable from the contextual menu.
Step 2: Network and Sharing Center
Step 4: Disabling Wi-Fi
Screen Saver activity can interrupt signal processing. For optimum performance when recording, disable the Screen Saver when using a DAW.
1. Go to: Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization
2. In the Personalization section, click Change screen saver. The Screen Save Settings window opens.
3. Select (None) from the Screen saver drop menu.
4. Click the Apply button to activate the setting.
These optimizations may help overall computer system and DAW software performance.
Note: These items are not directly related to, nor required for, Apollo Solo USB functionality.
- Implement all system tuning tips recommended by the DAW software manufacturer.
- Run Windows Update to ensure the latest Windows software is installed.
- Disable Windows Update before using DAW software so it doesn’t run in the background.
- Close all programs that run in the background such as third-party anti-virus software, instant messaging, disk maintenance, and other background processes. Note: Reactivate anti-virus software before connecting to the Internet.
- Disable all unnecessary system startup items.
- When recording with a notebook computer, use the AC power adapter.
- To reduce background processing, remove unwanted programs such as those installed with preconfigured computers (aka “bloatware”). Alternately, install a fresh installation of a stock version of Microsoft Windows to accomplish the same result.