This article contains complete operating instructions for the UAFX Brigade Chorus & Vibrato pedal from Universal Audio.
In this article
- A Letter From Bill Putnam, Jr.
- UAFX Brigade Quick Start
- UAFX Brigade Overview
- UAFX Brigade Power
- UAFX Brigade Connections
- Get the Latest Firmware
- UAFX Brigade Controls
- UAFX Brigade Specifications
- UAFX Brigade Safety
A Letter From Bill Putnam, Jr.
Congratulations on your new UAFX pedal. We know that buying any new piece of gear requires an investment of time and money, and we aim to make your investment pay off!
At UA, we are dedicated to the idea of building “instant classics” — the type of music and audio gear that delivers album-worthy sounds to inspire you for decades.
UAFX pedals represent more than 20 years of research into vintage analog effects, coupled with next-generation digital engineering and rock-solid reliability.
Please let us know how we’re doing. Feel free to reach out to us via our website uaudio.com, and via our social media channels.
Thank you for your support, and enjoy your sonic exploration!
Bill Putnam Jr.
UAFX Brigade Quick Start
UAFX Brigade Overview
Add vintage analog shimmer straight from 1976.
Conceived from the award-winning Astra Modulation Machine, Brigade Chorus & Vibrato gives you the warm analog modulation effects of the Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble* and the fat tone of its iconic preamp, in a compact stompbox.
Brigade is a mono in/mono out modulation pedal featuring switchable chorus and vibrato, with a simple set of controls for rate, depth, and level. In addition, Brigade includes an option for true or buffered bypass, and the option to enable the emulated preamp circuit from the original hardware.
- Add three-dimensional analog chorus effects from a pioneering 1976 stompbox
- Explore subtle detuned textures and warbled vibrato sounds
- Fatten up any guitar with perfectly emulated vintage analog preamp
- Count on timeless UA design and esteemed craftsmanship for years of inspiration on your pedalboard
*All trademarks are property of their respective owners and used only to represent the effects modeled as part of Brigade Chorus & Vibrato.
UAFX Brigade Power
To learn how to power your UAFX pedal, go here.
UAFX Brigade Connections
To learn how to wire your UAFX pedals, go here.
Get the Latest Firmware
Be sure to update your pedal’s firmware with UA Connect to get the latest features and functionality. To learn how to use UA Connect with your UAFX pedals, go here.
UAFX Brigade Controls
The following controls are available on Brigade.
Adjusts the Vibrato speed. Note that the chorus has a fixed modulation speed, so Rate does not operate in Chorus mode.
Adjusts the amount of modulation mixed with the dry signal.
Adjusts the overall output volume from the pedal. When the Level is set at noon, it will be roughly the same level as your bypassed volume.
Vibrato / Chorus
Sets the modulation type.
- Chorus: Slower modulation mixed with a clean signal for shimmering, sparkling tones.
- Vibrato: Faster modulation without the clean signal mixed in, for wavy undulating pitch.
The footswitch toggles the effect on/off. The LED lights to indicate when the effect is active. See Preamp for the LED color chart.
You can switch between Buffered or True bypass modes using the slider switch on the back of the pedal.
- Buffer – The pedal’s output is buffered. Use buffered bypass to minimize high frequency loss from long cable runs, and to preserve your tone when you have multiple pedals in series.
- True – The pedal signal is true bypass when the effect is off.
You can enable the CE-1 preamp to color the dry signal (the preamp is always enabled on the wet signal) using the Preamp switch on the back of the pedal. The preamp works differently depending on whether True Bypass or Buffered Bypass is enabled, and whether the pedal is on or bypassed.
|Bypass||Preamp||Preamp sound||LED color|
|True||Off||Preamp is not on dry signal||Green|
|Buffer||Off||Preamp is not on dry signal||Purple|
|True||On||Preamp is on dry signal when pedal is on||Orange|
|Buffer||On||Preamp is always on dry signal, whether pedal is on or bypassed||Red|
UAFX Brigade Specifications
Note: All specifications are subject to change without notice.
(power supply sold separately)
|Isolated 9VDC, center-negative, 250 mA minimum|
|Input||¼” unbalanced TS|
|Output||¼” unbalanced TS|
|Input impedance||1 Megohm|
|Output impedance||500 Ohms|
|Maximum input level||12.2 dBu|
|Maximum output level||12.1 dBu|
|Frequency response||20 Hz to 20 kHz, ±1 dB|
|USB Type-C||For registration and firmware updates via computer|
(with knobs and protrusions)
Height: 2.56 inches, 6.5 cm
Width: 3.62 inches, 9.2 cm
Depth: 5.55 inches, 14.1 cm
UAFX Brigade Safety
Caution: To help maintain the safety of your product, the chosen power supply must be a certified power supply complying with Limited Power Source (LPS) requirements with the following characteristics and electrical ratings: Isolated 9VDC, center-negative, 250 mA minimum, 2.1x5.5 mm barrel connector. Additional details at help.uaudio.com.
Before using this unit, be sure to carefully read the applicable items of these operating instructions and the safety suggestions. Afterwards, keep them handy for future reference. Take special care to follow the warnings indicated on the unit, as well as in the operating instructions.
- Read the instructions.
- Keep these instructions.
- Heed all warnings.
- Follow all instructions.
- Do not use this apparatus near water.
- Clean only with dry cloth.
- Do not block any ventilation openings. Install in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Do not install near any heat source such as radiators, heat registers, stoves, or other apparatus (including amplifiers) that produce heat.
- Do not defeat the safety purpose of the polarized or grounding-type plug. A polarized plug has two blades with one wider than the other. • Protect the power cord from being walked on or pinched particularly at plugs, convenience receptacles, and the point where they exit from the apparatus.
- Only use with attachments/accessories specified by the manufacturer.
- Refer all servicing to qualified service personnel. Servicing is required when the apparatus has been damaged in any way, such as power-supply cord or plug is damaged, liquid has been spilled or objects have fallen into the apparatus, the apparatus has been exposed to rain or moisture, does not operate normally, or has been dropped.
- This equipment does not contain a fuse or any other user-replaceable parts.
- A compliance marking label is provided on bottom of the unit.
Japanese Class B Manual Statement
この装置は、クラスB機器です。この装置は、住宅環境で使用することを目的としています が、この装置がラジオやテレビジョン受信機に近接して使用されると、受信障害を引き起こ すことがあります。取扱説明書に従って正しい取り扱いをして下さい。VCCI-B
(This is Class B equipment. Although this equipment is intended for use in residential environments, it could cause poor reception if used near a radio television receiver. Please follow all instructions in the instruction manual.)
Used electrical and electronic equipment should not be mixed with general household waste. Please dispose in accordance with local regulations.