This article contains complete operating instructions for the UAFX Teletronix Model LA-2A Studio Compressor pedal from Universal Audio.
In this article
- A Letter From Bill Putnam, Jr.
- UAFX LA-2A Overview
- UAFX LA-2A Quick Start
- UAFX LA-2A Power
- UAFX LA-2A Connections
- Get the Latest Firmware
- UAFX LA-2A Controls
- UAFX LA-2A Specifications
- UAFX LA-2A Safety
A Letter From Bill Putnam, Jr.
Congratulations on your new UAFX pedal. We know that buying any new piece of gear requires an investment of time and money, and we aim to make your investment pay off!
At UA, we are dedicated to the idea of building “instant classics” — the type of music and audio gear that delivers album-worthy sounds to inspire you for decades.
UAFX pedals represent more than 20 years of research into vintage analog effects, coupled with next-generation digital engineering and rock-solid reliability.
Please let us know how we’re doing. Feel free to reach out to us via our websitewww.uaudio.com, and via our social media channels.
Thank you for your support, and enjoy your sonic exploration!
Bill Putnam Jr.
UAFX LA-2A Overview
Get the rich tube tones of a legendary limiter.
The Teletronix LA-2A Studio Compressor puts the sounds of our legendary optical tube limiter at your feet, voiced to precisely match the original hand-wired hardware — with all the inspiring tone and classic feel on tap.
LA-2A is a mono in/mono out compressor pedal featuring switchable comp and limit modes, with a simple set of controls for peak, gain, and dry level. In addition, LA-2A includes options for true or buffered bypass, and stock or fast release times.
- Get warm optical tube compression sounds heard on decades of classic records
- Add weight and texture to any sound, clean or dirty, with perfectly emulated tube preamp section
- Easily dial in perfect compression effects with Dry Mix control and Stock/Fast switch
- Rely on timeless UA craftsmanship, built for decades of rock-solid performance
UAFX LA-2A Quick Start
Note: The Mix knob in some early printed Quick Start
sheets has a different description than shown here.
UAFX LA-2A Power
To learn how to power your UAFX pedal, go here.
UAFX LA-2A Connections
To learn how to connect your UAFX pedals, go here.
Get the Latest Firmware
Be sure to update your pedal’s firmware with UA Connect to get the latest features and functionality. To learn how to use UA Connect with your UAFX pedals, go here.
UAFX LA-2A Controls
The following controls are available on LA-2A.
Adjusts the amount of compression. Turn clockwise for more squish.
Adjusts the output level for the compressed signal. This control applies output gain to the compressed signal only (dry signal gain is controlled with the Mix knob).
Adjusts the output level of the dry signal, including up to 6 dB of boost. Turn fully counter-clockwise for 100% compressed signal only, with no dry signal. Turn fully clockwise for maximum dry gain (compressed signal gain is controlled with the Gain knob).
Mix and Gain Notes
- Gain and Mix are independent output level controls for the compressed signal and the dry signal.
- Rotate Mix fully counter-clockwise to hear only the compressed signal. Control the compressed signal level with the Gain knob.
- Rotate Gain fully counter-clockwise to hear the dry signal only. Use the Mix knob for dry signal gain boost only.
Comp / Limit
Sets the compression characteristics.
- COMP: 4:1 ratio, for medium compression
- LIMIT: 12:1 compression ratio, for hard limiter-like effects
The footswitch toggles the effect on/off.
The LED is lit when the effect is active. The LED changes colors to indicate compressor activity.
- Green – The compressor is not responding to the signal
- Yellow – The compressor is moderately responding to the signal
- Red – The compressor is heavily responding to the signal
You can switch between Buffered or True bypass modes using the slider switch on the back of the pedal.
- Buffer – The pedal’s output is buffered. Use buffered bypass to minimize high frequency loss from long cable runs, and to preserve your tone when you have multiple pedals in series.
- True – The pedal signal is true bypass when the effect is off.
You can set the compressor for Stock or Fast Release with the slider switch on the back of the pedal.
- Stock release allows compressed levels to recover slowly, and has the characteristic squishiness of a classic opto compression circuit.
- Fast release allows compressed levels to recover more quickly, and can sound more transparent or less effected.
UAFX LA-2A Specifications
Note: All specifications are subject to change without notice.
(power supply sold separately)
|Isolated 9VDC, center-negative, 250 mA minimum|
|Inputs||¼” unbalanced TS|
|Outputs||¼” unbalanced TS|
|Input impedance||1 Megohm|
|Output impedance||500 Ohms|
|Maximum input level||12.2 dBu|
|Maximum output level||12.1 dBu|
|Frequency response||20 Hz to 20 kHz, ±1 dB|
|USB Type-C||For registration and firmware updates via computer|
(with knobs and protrusions)
Height: 2.56 inches, 6.5 cm
Width: 3.62 inches, 9.2 cm
Depth: 5.55 inches, 14.1 cm
UAFX LA-2A Safety
Caution: To help maintain the safety of your product, the chosen power supply must be a certified power supply complying with Limited Power Source (LPS) requirements with the following characteristics and electrical ratings: Isolated 9VDC, center-negative, 250 mA minimum, 2.1x5.5 mm barrel connector. Additional details at help.uaudio.com.
Before using this unit, be sure to carefully read the applicable items of these operating instructions and the safety suggestions. Afterwards, keep them handy for future reference. Take special care to follow the warnings indicated on the unit, as well as in the operating instructions.
- Read the instructions.
- Keep these instructions.
- Heed all warnings.
- Follow all instructions.
- Do not use this apparatus near water.
- Clean only with dry cloth.
- Do not block any ventilation openings. Install in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Do not install near any heat source such as radiators, heat registers, stoves, or other apparatus (including amplifiers) that produce heat.
- Do not defeat the safety purpose of the polarized or grounding-type plug. A polarized plug has two blades with one wider than the other. • Protect the power cord from being walked on or pinched particularly at plugs, convenience receptacles, and the point where they exit from the apparatus.
- Only use with attachments/accessories specified by the manufacturer.
- Refer all servicing to qualified service personnel. Servicing is required when the apparatus has been damaged in any way, such as power-supply cord or plug is damaged, liquid has been spilled or objects have fallen into the apparatus, the apparatus has been exposed to rain or moisture, does not operate normally, or has been dropped.
- This equipment does not contain a fuse or any other user-replaceable parts.
- A compliance marking label is provided on bottom of the unit.
Japanese Class B Manual Statement
この装置は、クラスB機器です。この装置は、住宅環境で使用することを目的としています が、この装置がラジオやテレビジョン受信機に近接して使用されると、受信障害を引き起こ すことがあります。取扱説明書に従って正しい取り扱いをして下さい。VCCI-B
(This is Class B equipment. Although this equipment is intended for use in residential environments, it could cause poor reception if used near a radio television receiver. Please follow all instructions in the instruction manual.)
Used electrical and electronic equipment should not be mixed with general household waste. Please dispose in accordance with local regulations.