Known compatible & incompatible Windows systems, and UA-tested PCIe-to-FireWire 800 adapter cards, are listed in this article. Additionally, the host computer must meet the minimum system requirements.
Important Windows Compatibility Notes
- System sleep is incompatible with Apollo FireWire connections. See the Apollo FireWire Usage Notes article for details.
- FireWire device connections while powered (hot-plugging) are incompatible with Apollo.
- Apollo FireWire and UAD-2 Satellite FireWire are compatible with Windows 10 64-bit edition and Windows 11. 32-bit editions of Windows, and all older Windows operating systems, are unqualified. Although these operating systems may work, they are untested and unsupported.
- Apollo FireWire and UAD-2 Satellite FireWire require one of the UA-tested PCIe-to-FireWire 800 adapter cards listed below.
- Built-in FireWire ports on any Windows computer are incompatible.
- Only ASIO and WDM driver modes are compatible.
- Apollo Twin USB cannot be combined with Apollo FireWire models.
About System Performance
- Generally speaking, modern systems (less than three years old) with a quad-core or better processor, such as an Intel i7, and 8 GB RAM are recommended for maximum performance due to significant improvements in the underlying technologies.
- Older underpowered systems may not deliver expected performance.
Incompatible Windows Systems
- The Dell Precision T3500 desktop computer is incompatible with Apollo and UAD-2 Satellite.
- Built-in FireWire ports on any Windows computer are incompatible with Apollo and UAD-2 Satellite (a UA-tested PCIe-to-FireWire 800 adapter is required for all PC systems).
- Windows PC notebook (laptop) computers are incompatible with Apollo FireWire connections.
- UAD-1 devices are incompatible with Apollo and UAD-2 Satellite.
- Using Apple's Boot Camp to run Windows on Mac systems with Apollo audio interfaces or UAD-2 devices is an untested configuration.
- The following PCIe-to-FireWire 800 adapter cards are tested for use with Apollo and UAD-2 Satellite FireWire on Windows systems.
- Daisy-chaining external FireWire hard drives off Apollo and UAD-2 Satellite is not tested. External FireWire hard drives can be connected to a separate FireWire adapter card so they have their own FireWire bus.
|Sonnet Technologies||Allegro FW800-E||PCIe-to-FireWire 800||TI XIO2213||www.sonnettech.com|
|SIIG||NN-FW0012-S1||PCIe-to-FireWire 800||TI XIO2213||www.amazon.com|
Important: These PCIe-to-FireWire adapter cards are tested with the FireWire driver included with Windows. When installing the cards, Windows will automatically use the built-in driver. To avoid unexpected behavior, DO NOT UPDATE THE DRIVER from the manufacturer's software disk or website, even if instructed to do so by the documentation included with the adapter cards.
Note: The previously-qualified Syba SD-PEX30009 PCIe-to-FireWire adapter card is no longer used for internal testing.