- The latest UAD software is tested and compatible with Ventura.
- The latest LUNA software is tested and compatible with Ventura.
- Apollo models connected via Thunderbolt are compatible.
- Apollo models with Thunderbolt Option Card are compatible.
- UAD-2 PCIe cards are compatible.
- Apollo models connected via FireWire are incompatible (get compatibility with the Thunderbolt Option Card promotion).
- UAD-2 Satellite FireWire is incompatible.
- Connections via Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter are incompatible.
UAD Installation on macOS Ventura
With Ventura, macOS system security requires the manual steps below to fully enable UAD and Apollo software.
1. Allow UAD software
- Download and install the latest UAD software.
- After restarting, open System Settings (from Apple Menu at top left corner of display).
- Click Privacy & Security in the System Settings window.
- Scroll down to the Security section, click “Allow”, and enter your password to continue.
Important: Software must be allowed within 30 minutes of UAD installation.
Click Allow for Universal Audio software in System Settings (required)
Allow UAD software notes
- The Allow button is present for 30 minutes after installation. If the Allow button is not present after restarting your Mac, reinstall the UAD software.
- If software from multiple developers has been installed, the Privacy & Security pane may display "Some system software was blocked from loading." In this case, click Allow, a list will appear, and the software from each developer can be allowed individually.
2. Notification of Background Items
After installing UAD software, a Background Items Added notification appears. Background Items are required for UAD Software and run properly.
Note: Always allow UAD Software background items. They are required for Apollo & UAD hardware.
Background Items notifications
Login Items for UAD Software must be allowed in System Settings > General > Login items
3. Allow accessory to connect (Apple silicon only)
Click Allow when connecting Universal Audio hardware
4. Allow Audio Inputs
With macOS Ventura, all audio software apps such as LUNA Recording System must be allowed to access audio inputs. This step enables all audio inputs from UA audio interfaces and microphones to be used as input sources.
To allow Apollo/Arrow audio inputs in audio software, click “OK” when the alert dialog appears asking for access to the microphone.
Note: Apple uses “microphone” in this alert dialog, but the context includes inputs from any audio device. The text within this dialog may vary depending on the audio application.
Click OK in audio inputs access dialog
How to manually allow audio inputs
Follow the steps below to manually allow audio application access to Apollo/Arrow inputs in macOS Ventura. These steps may be necessary if OK isn’t clicked in the microphone access dialog as described above.
- Quit all audio applications.
- Open System Settings from the Apple Menu at top left corner of display.
- Click Privacy & Security in the left column of System Settings, then click Microphone.
- In the right column, select the app(s) to allow audio input access.
- Enter your password if prompted.
Apollo audio inputs allowed and configured correctly
5. Allow File Access for UA Mixer Engine
Allow the UA Mixer Engine access to the file system when requested by a DAW or other audio software such as LUNA Recording System. The UA Mixer Engine needs file access to save UAD plug-in preset files, LUNA session files, UAD Instrument presets, and sample libraries.
Click OK in UA Mixer Engine file access dialogs
6. Allow Console Keystroke Passthrough
Apollo's Console app must be allowed to pass keystrokes. This allows your DAW to be controlled with the computer keyboard (for transport, record enable, etc.) when Console is the foreground application.
- With the first keystroke when a DAW is open and Console is in the foreground, the “Accessibility Access (Events)” dialog appears asking to grant access to the UA Mixer Engine application.
- Click “Open System Settings” in the dialog. System Settings > Privacy & Security > Accessibility appears.
- Click the slider next to UA Mixer Engine and enter your password if prompted.
Click Open System Settings in the Accessibility Access (Events) dialog
Accessibility pane showing Console keystroke passthrough allowed
How to manually allow Console keystroke passthrough
Follow the steps below to manually enable Console keystroke passthrough. These steps may be necessary if “Open System Settings” isn’t clicked in the Accessibility Access (Events) dialog as described above.
- Open System Settings > Privacy & Security > Accessibility (from Apple Menu at top left corner of display).
- At the bottom of the Accessibility panel, click the “+” button and navigate to:
/Library/Application Support/Universal Audio/Apollo/
- Click the “UA Mixer Engine” application so it is selected, then click Open.
- Click the slider next to “UA Mixer Engine” and enter your password if prompted.