UA Compatibility with Apple Silicon Macs
UA products are not yet fully supported on Apple Silicon Macs, and UA is not able to offer technical support for products installed on M1 systems at this time. However, installation and use with the latest UAD and LUNA software is currently possible on M1 systems. Known issues with UAD and LUNA software are listed at the bottom of this article.
UA is actively working on compatibility with Apple Silicon and M1 Macs. This article will be updated as new information becomes available.
- The extra steps below are required to install UAD software on M1 systems.
- Apple M1 systems can be used with UAD v9.13.1 or v9.14.1 only.
- UA FireWire devices are incompatible with Apple Silicon Macs.
- All Apollo FireWire models are upgradeable to Thunderbolt, see the Thunderbolt Option Card promotion.
UAD installation on Apple Silicon Macs
With Apple Silicon, the additional steps below are required to enable installation of UAD and Apollo software (in addition to steps required during installation).
Start the computer in macOS Recovery
- Shut down the computer.
- Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”
- Click Options, then click Continue.
- If requested, enter your account password.
Set the security policy
Note: You need to keep the security policy settings below (even after UAD installation) for UAD software to function.
- In the Recovery app, choose Utilities > Startup Security Utility from the Menu Bar at upper left of screen..
- Click on the system drive you want to use to set the security policy.
- Click Security Policy, select the Reduced Security option, and enter your password if requested.
- Check the “Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers” option.
- Click OK, then restart your Mac for the changes to take effect.
Follow the UAD installation instructions for Big Sur on Intel Macs
- After the security policy is set with above instructions, UAD software can be installed.
- Follow the “UAD installation on Big Sur” procedure in this article.
Known issues with UA software on Apple Silicon Macs
All UA Software
- All UA software currently runs under Apple’s Rosetta translation layer for Intel software. If Rosetta is not yet installed (if you’ve never run Intel-based software on your Apple Silicon Mac), make sure the computer is connected to the internet before running UA software to trigger the Rosetta download from Apple.
UAD & Apollo
- UA FireWire devices are incompatible.
- UAD Oxford Limiter, UAD RealVerb Pro, and UAD DreamVerb may crash.
- UAD Meter may quit when instantiating UAD plug-ins.
- UAD Installer may quit and need to be launched a second time.
- Direct Developer (3rd party) UAD plug-ins may not be available.
- AU plug-in scans may fail in Logic Pro X. Workaround: Rescan the failed plug-ins in Logic’s Plug-in Manager (may require several attempts), or set Logic Pro X to open in Rosetta for the initial plug-in scan after UAD installation.
LUNA Recording System
- LUNA will crash if a LUNA Instrument (Shape, Ravel, Minimoog, Spitfire) is loaded.
- There are currently no workarounds for LUNA issues.