UA Compatibility with Apple Silicon Macs
- The extra steps below are required to install UAD software on M1 systems.
- UA products are compatible with Apple Silicon systems when using the latest UAD and LUNA software.
- UA FireWire devices are incompatible with Apple Silicon systems. All Apollo FireWire models are upgradeable to Thunderbolt; see the Thunderbolt Option Card promotion.
UAD installation on Apple Silicon Macs
With Apple Silicon, the additional steps below are required to enable installation of UAD and Apollo software (in addition to steps required during installation).
Start the computer in macOS Recovery
- Shut down the computer.
- Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”
- Click Options, then click Continue.
- If requested, enter your account password.
Set the security policy
Note: You need to keep the security policy settings below (even after UAD installation) for UAD software to function.
- In the Recovery app, choose Utilities > Startup Security Utility from the Menu Bar at upper left of screen..
- Click on the system drive you want to use to set the security policy.
- Click Security Policy, select the Reduced Security option, and enter your password if requested.
- Check the “Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers” option.
- Click OK, then restart your Mac for the changes to take effect.
Follow the UAD installation instructions for Big Sur on Intel Macs
- After the security policy is set with above instructions, UAD software can be installed.
- Follow the “UAD installation on Big Sur” procedure in this article.
Using UA software on Apple Silicon M1 Macs
All UA Software
- All UA software currently runs under Apple’s Rosetta translation layer for Intel software.
- If Rosetta is not yet installed (if you’ve never run Intel-based software on your Apple Silicon Mac), make sure the computer is connected to the internet before running UA software to trigger the Rosetta download from Apple.