UA Compatibility with Apple Silicon Macs
- The extra steps below are required to install UAD software on Apple silicon systems.
- The latest versions of Universal Audio software for macOS (UAD, UADx, LUNA, UA Connect) run natively on Apple silicon M1/M2 processors.
- UA FireWire devices are incompatible with Apple silicon systems. All Apollo FireWire models can be upgraded to Thunderbolt.
Note: To view our UA product compatibility grid for native Apple silicon please click here.
UAD installation on Apple Silicon Macs
With Apple silicon, the additional steps below are required to enable installation of UAD and Apollo software (in addition to steps required during installation).
Start the computer in macOS Recovery
- Shut down the computer.
- Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”
- Click Options, then click Continue.
- If requested, enter your account password.
Set the security policy
Note: You need to keep the security policy settings below (even after UAD installation) for UAD software to function.
- In the Recovery app, choose Utilities > Startup Security Utility from the Menu Bar at upper left of screen..
- Click on the system drive you want to use to set the security policy.
- Click Security Policy, select the Reduced Security option, and enter your password if requested.
- Check the “Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers” option.
- Click OK, then restart your Mac for the changes to take effect.
Follow the UAD installation instructions for Big Sur or Monterey on Intel Macs
- After the security policy is set with above instructions, UAD software can be installed.
- Follow the “UAD installation on Big Sur” procedure in this article
Follow the "UAD installation on Monterey" procedure in this article.