As you may know, Apple released macOS 11 Big Sur on Thursday, November 12th, 2020, and Apple M1 computers will be available November 17, 2020. This article will be updated as new information becomes available.
Please note: UA software, including UAD, Apollo, and LUNA, is not currently compatible with macOS Big Sur or Apple M1 computers.
Important: To prevent macOS from updating automatically, uncheck the “Install macOS updates” option in System Preferences > Software Update > Advanced options, as shown below.
macOS Big Sur Compatibility
UA software, including UAD, Apollo, and LUNA, is not currently compatible with Big Sur. UA software compatibility with Big Sur is being thoroughly tested, and full qualification is coming in future software updates. We recommend that you wait until UAD software compatibility with Big Sur is announced before updating to this new operating system.
Apple M1 Chip Compatibility
UA software, including UAD, Apollo, and LUNA, is not currently compatible with Apple M1 computer systems. UA software compatibility with M1 Macs is being developed and full qualification is coming in future software updates.
How to disable automatic macOS updates
- Open System Preferences under the Apple Menu at upper left of display.
- Click the Software Update icon to open the preference pane.
- Click the Advanced… button at lower right of the Software Update pane.
- Uncheck the Install macOS updates option, then click OK.
Disabling automatic macOS updates in System Preferences
About Big Sur and UA software
- UAD v9.13.0 cannot be installed on Big Sur systems.
- UAD v9.13.0 is tested and compatible with other versions of macOS, including 10.14 Mojave and 10.15 Catalina.
- If UAD v9.12.2 (and earlier versions) is installed before or after updating to Big Sur, UA software will not function as expected. In these cases, some issues may be apparent (see specific known issues below).
Known issues with Big Sur – Intel systems
- Apollo Console application has graphical performance issues
- UAD Meter & Control Panel application is not compatible
- UAD plug-ins will not load in Logic Pro
- Graphical animations in certain UAD plug-ins may not display correctly
Known issues with Big Sur – M1 systems
- Apple M1 computers are not yet compatible